Friday, October 10, 2014

Watercolor Halloween - take the Plunge!

Welcome, Friday, boy am I ever glad you are here...  Long week, and so ready for the weekend!  Really would love to get a bit more crafty this weekend.  Not sure where you are coming from, but here in Chicago, Fall is just beginning to give us quite the show with colors popping out everywhere!  Normally, given a challenge involving watercoloring (which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE), I would choose a pretty flower, or a big leaf - something like that... but with four youngish children, I have Halloween on the brain.  I am not a huge lover of this holiday, and don't enjoy dressing up, but have agreed to host a Halloween party for my kids and their friends... what was I thinking?  In any case, this was out of my normal watercoloring comfort zone, so I decided to take The Plunge, and submit this as my design team card over at The Paper Plunge.  Here is what I have for you:
 I stamped the tree scene, then watercolored the sky and the watery moon.  After that dried, I stamped the leaves and the bats.  I had intended to use my very tiny little pumpkin stamp that came in the same set as the bats and the leaves, but when I went to grab it, I must have knocked it off the card...  It is really tiny, and happily stuck to something in my craftroom, but I couldn't find it... Don't worry, I am sure I will find it soon (probably November 1st)!!    I also just sponged the colors onto a background panel to make it look like leaves...Here is a close up of the sky - moon - bats area so you can see how the unevenness actually makes it more "midnighty"...  the beauty of watercolor is how you can take some artistic license to NOT be perfect! 
There are many different techniques to make the watercolor effect...  In this case, I did a pretty pure version.  I used the lids of my inkpads and my waterpens to make a quick and easy splash of color! 
Now come on and play with us over at The Paper Plunge this week!  We would love to have you join our Swim Team.

5 comments:

  1. love this card, amanda!! i just bought the 'tree' set...loved the way you changed it up for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leslie! I love this set, and I am sure I will be using it a lot! Wouldn't it be cute with a sentiment that you could do in MDS about "Over the river and through the woods" for Thanksgiving??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool card Amanda! Love the watercolor look you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, this looks like a painting on canvas class! Love the colors! And I love those painting classes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card, Amanda. It has a spooky and swirly feel to it. So Halloween.... Love it. You did a great job on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope I have inspired you to go play with paper!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...